Overcoming Depression – Do these depression symptoms describe you?
- Persistent sad, anxious or `empty’ mood
- Feelings of hopelessness, pessimism
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness
- Loss of interest or pleasure in hobbies and activities that you once enjoyed, including sex
- Insomnia, early-morning awakening or oversleeping
- Appetite and/or weight loss or overeating and weight gain
- Decreased energy, fatigue, being `slowed down’
- Thoughts of death or suicide, suicide attempts
- Restlessness, irritability
- Difficulty concentrating, remembering, making decisions
- Persistent physical symptoms that do not respond to treatment, such as headaches, digestive disorders and chronic pain
If several of these depression symptoms apply to you, you probably already know that there’s something wrong. For a start go to your doctor,tell him your symptoms and that you think you could be suffering from depression. There’s plenty of medical assistance available. Why stay in this agony for any longer than needed? Just remember that depression is a physical illness and needs to be treated medically.
Overcoming depression can be like an emotional whirlwind. It’s not easy but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Many people who have suffered from depression say that in hindsight they can be thankful (strange as it may seem!) because depression forced them to deal with issues in their life. Life after depression can be so much fuller.